We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

How do I get a British birth certificate if I was born abroad?

Children born abroad to British parents can be entitled to automatic British nationality, find out more about getting a British birth certificate for someone born abroad.

If you need help with a nationality issue, contact our expert immigration lawyers today on 020 4502 8582.


    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Can you be a British citizen if you were born abroad?

    It is possible for people who were born outside the UK to still be a British national. Under the British Nationality Act 1981, any child born outside the UK to at least one parent who is a British citizen “otherwise than by descent”, automatically acquires British citizenship.

    However, when a child is born abroad to a British parent their birth must be registered according to the regulations in the country that they were born in. This means that they will receive a local birth certificate, rather than a British one.

    This local birth certificate should be accepted in the UK and it can be used to apply for a British passport and many other reasons. It’s worth noting, however, that you may need it translated and certified if it is not in English. Not having a British birth certificate will not affect your citizenship status.

    UK flag

    How to get a British birth certificate if I was born abroad

    Although your local birth certificate should be accepted in the UK, you may still wish to acquire a British birth certificate. Whilst it’s not possible to obtain a regular British birth certificate, you can apply for a consular birth registration certificate.

    To be able to apply for a consular birth certificate if born abroad the birth must also be registered at a UK Consulate, High Commission or with the Armed Forces. You can only do this if you were born on or after 1 January 1983.

    It’s worth noting that if you already have automatic British nationality, registering your birth with UK authorities is optional. You can still apply for a UK passport even if your birth hasn’t been registered.

    If you have not automatically acquired British citizenship, you may still be eligible to register as a British national by descent and will need to do this before you can apply for your first UK passport.

    Documents required to apply

    If you do wish to apply for a consular birth registration certificate then you can do so using the form available on the gov.uk website. When making your application, you will need to submit several supporting documents to prove that you are eligible.

    The documents you will need include:

    • Your full local birth certificate, this must have both of your parent’s names on
    • The long version of your parent’s birth certificate that also shows your grandparents’ details (if your parents were born in the UK)
    • Your parent’s naturalisation or registration certificate (for parents who weren’t born in the UK)
    • Your parents’ marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applicable)
    • Evidence that the parents’ previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended (eg divorce or death certificates if applicable)
    • Change of name documents if either of your parents has ever changed their name
    • A letter from your parent’s employer if they’re working abroad as a UK civil servant, EU civil servant, diplomat or member of HM Forces (for British parents)
    • Written evidence if your parent was born overseas while one of their own parents was working abroad as a UK civil servant, EU civil servant, diplomat or member of HM Forces (for British parents)

    As well as the above documents you will also be required to provide photocopies of the photo page of your British passport if you have one and the photo page or your parent’s current passport.

    Do you need help applying for a British birth certificate? Our lawyers can assist you. Get in touch

      Fill out the form

      immigration lawyer

      How can IAS help?

      British nationality is a complex aspect of the UK immigration system as the laws surrounding UK nationality for those born outside the UK have changed several times. Luckily, our lawyers are experts when it comes to nationality issues.

      If you’re unsure about whether you qualify for automatic citizenship, or whether you may be eligible to either register as a UK citizen or apply for citizenship, our lawyers can help. We offer legal immigration advice sessions in which a caseworker will speak to you about your circumstances, answer any immigration-related questions that you may have and can inform and advise you about the nationality options available to you.

      If you would like to apply for a consular birth registration certificate, our lawyers can also assist you throughout the process. They can help you to fill in the application form and also help you to obtain the certificates and other documents that you may need to complete your application.

      For more information, call our team today on 020 4502 8582.

      You may be interested in reading about.

      We can help you if you need help with a nationality issue. Call us now

        Fill out the form

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Appeal Package