London Immigration Lawyers
0204 502 8582 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

Find an office

10 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

EEA Residency

Possessing EEA Permanent Residence proves your right to live in the UK for the rest of your life. Our team of London immigration lawyers are here to guide you through the process.

Contact us on 020 4502 8582 for immediate assistance. We’re here for you over the phone, in person and via Skype.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is Permanent Residence?

    If you are a European Economic Area (EEA) national, you possess the right to live, work and study in the UK. As a result, you can travel to the UK without having to apply for a visa.

    With this in mind, being an EEA national enables you to circumvent the complexities of applying for leave to remain via the Points-Based System (PBS) or other visa categories. However, there are some circumstances in which an EEA national will be required to demonstrate their right to work/reside in the UK.

    To demonstrate this, an individual can apply for an EEA Registration Certificate. This states that one possesses the legal right to live, work and study in the UK. It is not a legal necessity to possess a registration certificate. However, it is a statement of your rights and confirms your ability to access services reserved for UK residents. The certificate is valid for five years, after which time you will be eligible to apply for EEA Permanent Residence.

    Possessing permanent residence means that you can remain in the UK indefinitely, and use the full range of benefits afforded to British citizens.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Types of EEA Residency

    EEA Permanent Residency

    • EEA Permanent Residency is a status that allows EEA nationals and their family members to live and work in another EEA country permanently.
    • To qualify, individuals typically need to have resided continuously in the host EEA country for a specified period (usually five years) while meeting certain requirements, such as stable income and comprehensive health insurance. Once granted, EEA Permanent Residency provides individuals with the right to stay in the host country indefinitely, even if the EEA national sponsor is no longer residing there.

    EEA Family Permit

    • The EEA Family Permit is a visa-like document that allows non-EEA family members of EEA nationals to join or accompany their EEA national sponsor in an EEA member state.
    • It’s often a necessary requirement for family members who are citizens of non-EEA countries to enter and live in an EEA country. The permit is usually valid for up to six months and can be extended or converted into a residence card or permanent residency, depending on the host country’s regulations.

    EEA Registration Certificate

    • An EEA Registration Certificate is a document issued to EEA nationals residing in another EEA country. It serves as proof of their right to live and work in that country. EEA nationals are often encouraged to obtain this certificate to facilitate access to certain services and benefits.

    EEA Residence Card

    • EEA Residence Cards are issued to non-EEA family members of EEA nationals who have moved to an EEA country. These cards confirm the right of non-EEA family members to reside and work in the host country and are typically valid for five years.

    EEA Blue Card

    • The EEA Blue Card is a special work permit for highly skilled non-EEA nationals seeking employment in an EEA country.
    • To qualify, applicants must typically have a job offer in a highly skilled role, meet minimum salary requirements, and have recognized qualifications. The EEA Blue Card allows for temporary residency and can lead to permanent residency after a certain period.


    laptop with open notebook in front with pen and mug.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Do I satisfy the eligibility requirements for EEA Permanent Residence?

      In order to be eligible for EEA Permanent Residence, it is crucial that you have been continuously and lawfully resident in the UK for five years. Being a resident for this period of time will enable you to remain in the UK regardless of the outcome of Brexit.

      It is also vitally important that you have exercised your Treaty Rights during this timeframe. Your Treaty Rights must have been exercised through employment, self-employment or studying.

      One of the following criteria must also be satisfied:

      • You are the family member of a British citizen who was either employed or self-employed in an EEA state before returning to the UK
      • You are considered an EEA ‘Qualified Person’. This means that you are employed, self-employed, self-sufficient, a student or a job-seeker.
      • You are either a direct family member or extended family member of an EEA Qualified Person or person with permanent residence.
      • You are the former family member of an EEA national and you retained your right of residence after the EEA national died or left the UK, or after your marriage or civil partnership came to an end.

      What is an EEA Registration Certificate?

      If you are an EEA national that has been living in the UK for less than the five years needed to apply for EEA Permanent Residence, you can apply for an EEA Residence Card.

      Holding a residence card is not a legal requirement, however it does bring a number of benefits. It states that you are entitled to receive benefits and services that are exclusive to UK residents. Further to this, holding a registration certificate will make transitioning to EEA Permanent Residence a smoother process.

      It is also useful for those that wish to bring family members to the UK. This is because it can be used in when applying for an EEA Family Permit as a means of supporting a family member’s application.

      The EEA Registration Certificate is also a good option for EEA nationals who are worried about the status as a UK resident due to Brexit. The certificate lasts for five years, meaning that holders are able to apply for permanent residence once it runs out. With this in mind, the certificate is a way of guaranteeing an individual’s right to remain in the UK post Brexit.

      What is the best way to apply for EEA Permanent Residence?

      If you are an EEA citizen and wish to remain in the UK on a permanent basis, you will need to apply for permanent residence. There are two ways that this can be done. You can either complete and submit the 85-page paper form, or apply online.

      Not all individuals will be able to apply using the online application. If you identify with any of the following criteria, you will be unable to use the online form.

      • You are a family member of a qualifying EEA national and are not applying at the same time as them.
      • You are a student or a self-sufficient individual who is financially responsible for other family members, or are reliant on a member of your family for financial assistance.
      • You are applying on the basis of having retained your rights.
      • The application you are making falls under the ‘Surinder Singh’ category.

      All other applicants are able to use the online form when applying for EEA Permanent Residence. This includes Swiss nationals.

      What documentation will I require in order to apply for EEA Permanent Residence?

      The documents that need to be submitted as part of a permanent residence application vary depending on the unique circumstances of the individual applying.

      However, all applicants should expect to submit the following:

      • Proof that you are a UK resident. This can take the form of a utility bill, a council tax letter, an NHS letter or mortgage documents. It can also be proved via evidence of UK-based employment, such as pay slips.
      • Proof of identification, such as a valid passport or other travel documentation.
      • Other immigration documentation. This includes your EEA Registration Certificate.
      • Past EEA Permanent Residence proof (in situations where a renewal is being applied for).
      • Proof of your relationship to your sponsor. This can take the form of birth/adoption certificates, or marriage/civil partnership documentation.

      For the full list of documents that may be required, see section 18 of the form.

      We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Is biometric information required when applying for permanent residence?

        When you apply for EEA Permanent Residence, you will need to submit your biometric information as part of the process. This takes the form of a digital photograph, your signature and your fingerprints.

        You can obtain your biometric information at a number of different post office branches. It costs £19.20.

        All applications for EEA Permanent Residence will be required to provide biometric information of some form.

        It is not necessary for those under the age of six to provide their fingerprints or signature, however it is necessary to provide a digital photograph.

        Those above the age of six will be required to provide all three components of biometric information.

        I am eligible to apply using the online form. What are its benefits?

        If your circumstances are such that applying for permanent residence via the online form is permissible, it has a number of benefits.

        The online form differs from the paper version in that it only asks you questions that are relevant to you and your situation. It is hugely important that you have all necessary information and documentation, as you will have to answer a number of questions before proceeding. The purpose of this structure is so that the form can be tailored to you.

        A further benefit of applying online is that your local authority can check your passport. It will then be returned to you using the European Passport Return Service. To be eligible for this service, it is necessary for you to attend an appointment within five days of your application being submitted. With this in mind, it is advised that you book the appointment first and then submit the application in accordance with this date.

        Will I need to declare any criminal convictions when I apply for permanent residence in the UK?

        In order for EEA Permanent Residence to be granted, it is important that you satisfy the ‘Good Character’ requirement. This means that you do not have any previous criminal convictions or immigration-related offences or breaches.

        It is vital that you give details of any convictions when you complete the form.

        The Home Office will take all previous offences into account when deciding whether or not to grant your application.

        It is not relevant where or when the offence took place, nor is it relevant how major or minor the offence was.

        Financial issues such as bankruptcy or unpaid bills/taxes can also prevent you from proceeding with your application.

        What is meant by ‘qualifying activities’ when applying for permanent residence?

        In order to be deemed eligible for permanent residence, it is important to demonstrate that you have participated in qualifying activities during your time in the UK.

        You have been involved in a qualifying activity if you have been:

        • Employed
        • Self-employed
        • A student
        • A job-seeker
        • Self-sufficient (with sickness insurance)

        It is permissible for you to have been in one or several of these categories during your time in the UK. You may have initially been employed by an organisation when you arrived, but moved into self-employed work during the five-year qualifying period.

        Will I need to sit the Life in the UK test in order to be granted EEA residence?

        When applying for Permanent Residence, it is not necessary that you pass the Life in the UK test.

        It is however necessary if you apply for British citizenship once permanent residence has been granted. To this end, it is possible to apply to take the test now if you intend to naturalise 12 months after permanent residence has been granted.

        If passed, your certificate can be used as supporting documentation when applying for citizenship.

        I have not been living in the UK for five years. How should I proceed?

        If you are an EEA national and have been resident in the UK for less than the five years needed to be eligible for EEA Permanent Residence, you can apply for an EEA Registration Certificate.

        It is not essential that you possess this card in order to live and work in the UK. However, possessing a certificate will secure your ability to remain in the UK regardless of the outcome of Brexit.

        The certificate is valid for five years, after which point you will be able to apply for EEA Permanent Residence.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  At present, it costs £65 to apply for EEA Permanent Residence. This is the price per applicant. As a result, you will need to pay an additional £65 for each additional family member that is included on your application.

                  Applications for EEA Permanent Residence are usually processed within six months of the form and supporting documentation being submitted. Due to the events surrounding Brexit, there is currently a high demand for the service. As a result of this, processing times may be longer than usual. Recent applicants have reported waiting between two/three months and seven/eight months.

                  If you are an EEA national that has successfully been granted permanent residence, you are entitled to apply for British citizenship.

                  You must hold permanent residence for 12 months before proceeding with this.

                  Our London immigration lawyers are immensely experienced in assisting with applications for EEA permanent residency. We will sit down with you to assess your options and next steps. If you choose to proceed with your application, we will guide you through each step. We do everything possible to maximise your chances of approval.

                  Our legal team will:

                  • Maintain frequent contact with the Home Office throughout the process
                  • Prepare a Letter of Representation to accompany your application, drawing attention to relevant immigration laws in support of your case
                  • Complete your application form to the highest possible standard
                  • Conduct a thorough documentation check to ensure that all necessary paperwork is in place
                  • Determine your eligibility for EEA residence
                  • Determine whether or not you are eligible for alternative routes, such as the Surinder Singh or Zambrano route
                  • Liaise with you in person, over the phone, or via Skype


                  Applying for EEA Residency can present several common challenges, which applicants may encounter during the process. These challenges include:

                  Complex Eligibility Criteria. Understanding and meeting the eligibility criteria for EEA Residency, including continuous residence and financial requirements, can be challenging.

                  Gathering Documentation. Collecting and providing the required documents, such as proof of residence, income, and insurance, can be time-consuming and confusing.

                  Changing Regulations. EEA Residency rules and regulations may change over time, and applicants must stay up-to-date with the latest requirements.

                  Language Barriers. Language proficiency can be a barrier, especially when dealing with official documents and interactions with immigration authorities.

                  Proving Relationships. Non-EEA family members may face challenges in proving their relationship to the EEA national sponsor, which is essential for family reunification.

                  Delays in Processing. The application process can be lengthy, and delays in processing times can be frustrating for applicants.

                  Appeals and Rejections. Applications may be rejected, leading to the need for appeals, which can be time-consuming and stressful.

                  Changing Circumstances. Changes in personal circumstances, such as divorce or loss of employment, can affect eligibility and require updates to the application.

                  Financial Requirements. Meeting the financial requirements, including income and comprehensive health insurance, can be challenging for some applicants.

                  Seeking Legal Advice. Knowing when to seek legal advice or immigration assistance is crucial, and finding reliable and qualified advisors can be a challenge in itself.

                  Maintaining Continuous Residence. Applicants must ensure they meet the continuous residence requirement, which can be disrupted by extended periods outside the EEA country.

                  Navigating Different EEA Country Regulations. EEA Residency rules can vary from one EEA member state to another, making it important to understand and comply with the specific regulations of the host country.

                  Impact of Brexit. For individuals from the UK and family members of UK nationals, the UK’s departure from the EU has introduced additional complexities, including the need for residence permits and updated documentation.