London Immigration Lawyers
0204 502 8582 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

Find an office

10 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Temporary Worker Visa

If you wish to work in the UK for 12 months or less, our team of London immigration lawyers can help you apply for a Temporary Worker Visa.

Call us on 020 4502 8582 for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is the Temporary Worker Visa?

    The Temporary Worker Visa is a permit designed for those who wish to travel and work in the UK in a number of specific circumstances, and only for a limited period of time (up to 12 months).

    International workers need a job offer from a licensed UK sponsor before they can submit their Temporary Worker Visa application.

    However, applicants from a small number of countries can come under the Youth Mobility Scheme, provided that they meet specific requirements.

    This immigration route is not available for highly-skilled foreign workers, who can instead apply for a Skilled Worker Visa.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    What are the Temporary Work Visa categories?

    You can apply for one of the following categories to travel to the UK:

      • Charity Workers, for those covering unpaid or voluntary roles for a UK-registered charity.
      • Creative and Sporting, for highly skilled sportspersons, musicians or actors. Sportspersons must be internationally recognised at the highest level in their sport, or they must enter the UK to make a significant contribution to the development of their area of interest.
      • Government Authorised Exchange, available only for nationals of countries who have signed an approved exchange scheme. Under this visa, young foreigners can do work experience, training or academic research in the UK, or take part in an Overseas Government Language Programme.
      • International Agreement, only for workers whose job offer is covered by international law. This includes embassy and diplomatic employers under the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS) who hold a certificate released by an accredited UK organisation.
      • Religious Workers Visa for those hired for preaching or work in a monastery or convent by a religious order in the UK.

    What are the Temporary Worker Visa requirements?

    To be eligible for a Temporary Worker Visa, you must have:

    • A valid job offer from a UK-based institution which holds a Certificate of Sponsorship and it’s legally allowed to hire international workers
    • A certificate of sponsorship from your sponsor
    • At least £1,270 in savings, available on your bank account for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for this visa.

    Based on the visa category you are applying for, you may be required to complete an English language test.

    You can either prove your knowledge of English by providing a degree taught or researched in English, or an approved language qualification.

    Your sponsor may get an on-site visit from the compliance officers at any time, to ensure that migrant workers, as well as the company, are complying with their duties.

    Our London immigration lawyers are here to help you should you have any questions about the Temporary Work Visa. Please call us now on 020 3883 6530 for more information.

    Creative and Sporting categories


    A professional sportsperson is someone who provides services in this field either as an athlete or a coach, at a professional or semi-professional level of their sport. Eligible applicants must have represented their national team within the previous two years, or have an established international reputation in their chosen sport.

    Creative Workers

    Creative workers, such as dancers, actors and models in the fashion industry, can be eligible for a Temporary Worker Visa provided that their sponsor can show that the post could not have been filled by a British worker.

    Artists will be able to bring their entourage using a group Certificate of Sponsorship, but they should prove the specialist skills of each member.

    Government Authorised Exchange & International Agreements

    Government Authorised Exchange (GAE)

    Applicants under this subcategory can come to the UK to learn new skills through work placements. However, this visa cannot be used to bring unskilled foreign employers to the UK.

    With the only exceptions of academic researchers sponsored by an approved institution, individual employers and organisations are not allowed to sponsor any applicant under this category.

    International Agreement

    This category is only for those who wish to enter the UK to provide a service covered under international law, such as private servants in diplomatic households, employers of overseas governments, and any agreement between the United Kingdom and another country.

    Get in touch with our immigration lawyers in London to find out more about the Temporary Worker Visa UK. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      What are the Temporary Worker Visa UK required documents?

      To be eligible for a Temporary Worker Visa UK, you must have:

      • A valid job offer from a UK-based institution;
      • A certificate of sponsorship from your sponsor;
      • At least £1,270 in your bank available for at least 28 days in a row

      Based on the type of work that you will be doing, you may be required to complete an English language test.

      Your sponsor may get an on-site visit from the compliance officers at any time, to ensure that migrant workers, as well as the company, are complying with their duties.

      What is a Certificate of Sponsorship?

      Your Certificate of Sponsorship is not a certificate nor a paper document. It is a reference number linked to all the information about your job and your personal details.

      When you apply for a Temporary Worker Visa, your sponsor will give you your sponsorship reference number, which must be reported on your forms.

      Your sponsorship reference number will be only valid for 3 months from the date it is assigned to you.

      As a general rule, you should be able to use it to leave and return to the UK multiple times over the course of your stay.

      Applying for the Youth Mobility Scheme

      Young people aged between 18 to 30 from a specific list of countries can experience living and working in the UK for up to 2 years by applying for the Youth Mobility Scheme.

      This category of Temporary Worker Visa is available only for British overseas citizens and for nationals of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea and Taiwan.

      It must be noted that the Scheme is closed to those who have children whom they are financially responsible for, or have already travelled to the UK through any working holiday short term visa.

      What is the Genuine Migrant Test?

      Before your visa is issued, the UKVI must check if you genuinely intend to undertake the role for which you received a job offer in the UK. The Migrant Test applies to all categories of temporary workers, except those under the seasonal employment scheme.

      The UKVI will make its decision taking into account your:

      • Knowledge of the role;
      • Previous relevant experiences:
      • Explanation of how the recruitment process went through.

      As a part of your Migrant Test, you may be required to provide additional information and evidence about your working experience. You may also be called for an interview to discuss your reasons for needing a temporary work visa.

      How our London Immigration Lawyers can help

      Apply for a Temporary Work Visa can be challenging and there is a change your application could be rejected. This can happen if you fail to provide the correct supporting documents or do not complete the form accurately.

      Our team of professional lawyers can guide you through the process and help you to submit a strong application. We have already helped many short term visa applicants live and work in the UK.

      To start your journey with London Immigration Lawyers, call us today on 020 4502 8582  or fill out our contact form.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                Temporary Worker Visa UK applicants can include their dependent family members in their application only if they can demonstrate that they hold sufficient funds to provide for them.

                Differently, your relative can submit a Family Visas application and travel to the UK if they meet the mandatory requirements.

                Your job offer must be valid for the entire period of time indicated on your application. However, if your employment ends before your period of leave, your authorised stay may be reduced to 60 days.

                Foreign nationals who first entered the UK as visitors undertaking activities pertinent to their skills can apply to switch their status to a Temporary Worker Visa. However, they must first hold a valid Certificate of Sponsorship, released by a UK-based company, interested in hiring a foreign worker.

                A Temporary Worker Visa allows you to stay in the UK for up to 12 months unless a shorter time is reported on your permit.

                At the end of your authorised stay, you can apply for a short term work visa extension and keep working for the same sponsor for a maximum of 24 months.