London Immigration Lawyers
0204 502 8582 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

Find an office

10 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

UK Visas

If you need a visa or want to find out more about the different options, our London immigration lawyers can help. Call us on 020 4502 8582.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Do I need a visa?

    You need a UK Visa to enter the UK if you are a national from a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA). A visa grants you ‘entry clearance’, which means you can come to Britain for a specific activity or purpose. Different UK Visas have different forms of entry clearance that allow you to do various things. You may need a visa for the UK if you want to visit, join family, study, work, or conduct business, and all these circumstances have different visa requirements, processing times, costs, and lengths of stay.

    Different types of visas require different documents and evidence, and in some categories (like Work, Study, and Partner Visas), you need to have a UK sponsor to support your application.

    To find out more about the different visa options available, get in touch with our team of London immigration lawyers on 020 4502 8582.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Joining family in the UK

    If you want to join a partner or relative in the UK for longer than a visit, you can apply for a visa under the ‘family’ category.

    Family Visas

    There are several different visa options for those looking to join a relative in the UK. These include the following visa categories:

    • Dependent Child Visas. These visas are used when a child has to accompany their visa-holding parent(s) to the UK. This is possible with various visas for the UK, including Spouse Visas, Work Visas, and Study Visas.
    • Adult Dependant Visas. These are used by a person who needs necessary and serious care from their British/settled child. In this case, the British child is the sponsor.
    • Ancestry Visas. These visa types are for Commonwealth citizens, who have one or two grandparents who are/were a UK national.
    • EEA Family Permits. This isn’t strictly a visa; it is used by people who live outside of the EEA who have a European family member living in the UK.

    Joining a partner in the UK

    There are three main types of UK Partner Visa. These are:

    • Spouse Visa. For people married to British citizens who want to live with them in the UK.
    • Unmarried Partner Visa. For people in long-term relationships with British citizens who want to live with them in the UK.
    • Fiancé Visa. For people who want to marry a British citizen in the UK before settling with them there.

    These types of visas typically require several different forms of evidence to be submitted in relation to the applicant and the British sponsor. This revolves around proving that your relationship to them is “genuine and subsisting”. To do this, you need to submit evidence to show that you know your partner well, that you are married (if applying for a UK Spouse Visa) and that you intend to genuinely continue with the relationship once you are both living in the UK together.

    Points-based Visas

    If you want to work, study, or conduct business in the UK, you will need a specific category of visa, called a Points-Based Visa.

    Business Visas

    Business Visas are for ‘high-skilled’ or ‘highly-sought-after’ people, including workers and businesspeople. The Business Visa types include:

    • Global Talent Visa. To be eligible, you must be an endorsed leader in your field.
    • Innovator Visa (formerly the Entrepreneur Visa). To be eligible, you must have a solid business plan, endorsement, and at least £50,000 in savings.
    • Start-up Visa (formerly the Graduate Entrepreneur Visa). To be eligible, you must be endorsed by an approved body, and have enough money to support yourself while in the UK.
    • Investor Visa. To be eligible, you must have £2 million in investment funds.

    Skilled Worker Visas

    Skilled Worker Visas are for skilled workers who want to work in the UK for long periods. The Skilled Worker Visa types include:

    • Skilled Worker Visa. This is the most commonly used Work Visa. To be eligible, you must have an offer from a UK employer (who is registered as a Sponsor).
    • Religious Worker. This is used by people who want to do religious work in the UK, such as working in a religious order or preaching.
    •  Sportsperson. This is for elite sportspeople and qualified coaches who are recognised as being at the highest level of their fields internationally.
    • Intra-Company Transfer Visa. This type of visa is used by people who want to transfer from a role in a business to a UK branch.

    Student Visas

    Student Visas are used by international students who want to study in the UK for longer than six months.

    For a Student Visa, the applicant must prove the following:

    • They have enough funds to support themselves during their studies, as well as pay their tuition fees in full
    • They have an official offer of study from a registered UK institution (like a University)
    • They have been assigned a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies) by this institution
    • They meet the English language requirements of their particular course

    There is also a Child Study Visa, which functions in the same way. To be eligible for this, a child must have a position at a British fee-paying school, as well as enough money provided to them to support them and ensure their full course can be afforded.

    Temporary Worker Visas

    Temporary Work Visas are used by short-term workers. There are six main types of UK Visa under the Temporary Visa category. These include:

    1. Temporary Worker Visa. This type of visa is for people who want to take on temporary (up to 24 months), skilled positions in the UK.
    2. Creative and Sporting. This category is for people who want to work in the creative or sports sectors on temporary placements.
    3. Government Exchange. For those who want to come to the UK temporarily for work experience, for a fellowship, or for research.
    4. International Agreement. For those who are contracted to do work that is covered by international law, like serving a diplomatic household, or working as a civil representative.
    5. Religious Worker. For those who want to do temporary religious work in the UK, like preaching or working in a religious order.
    6. Youth Mobility Scheme. For people between the ages of 18 and 30 who are from Commonwealth countries and want to work for up to two years in the UK.

    UK Visa advice

    We offer comprehensive advice packages for a range of visa-based enquiries. Whether you need advice on a particular visa application that you’re ready to start, or you just want to know your general visa options, we can help. Our team of professional immigration lawyers are positioned around London and the UK. As part of our Visa Advice Package, we will pair you with a caseworker who suits your needs. They will advise you on each step of your visa application process, outline your visa options, and tell you which documents you need for your relevant visa category/categories.


    UK Visa application help

    As part of our visa application service, one of our London immigration lawyers will work with you closely to take you through each step of the application process for your specific type of UK Visa. They will oversee the entire application process for you, helping you to source and organise all your supporting documents. They will complete and submit your application forms to UKVI on your behalf. They will also write a detailed cover letter to accompany your visa application. As well as this, they will correspond with them and follow-up on your behalf.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance on your UK Visa application. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Visiting the UK

      If you are from outside the EEA and you need to visit the UK for any reason, then you will need a UK Visitor Visa.

      Visit Visas

      You can visit the UK for a holiday; medical treatment; to see family; to attend business meetings; or to study for short periods. A Visit Visa can be used for any reason, and you must prove for any application that this reason is genuine and that you will return once your visit is complete.

      The three main types of Visit Visa are:

      • Standard Visitor Visa. This visa is the most commonly used form of Visit Visa. It covers most of the reasons for visiting the UK, including visiting family, tourism, and medical visits.
      • Visitors in Transit. This type of visa is used by visitors who pass through the UK on their way to catch another flight. This is necessary when they want to leave the airport for a layover.
      • Permitted Paid Engagement Visa. This UK Visa is for individuals who are invited to the UK on the basis that they are experts of their profession. This includes academics, performers, and journalists.

      Other types of Visitor Visa

      There are a few other variants of the Standard Visitor Visa which are worth mentioning. These are subcategories of this visa type, but the requirements for people who want to make visits for these reasons are slightly different.

      • Marriage Visitor Visa. The requirements for this category are that you can prove you will get married during your visit and that you will return after this. Please note, this is not a Fiancé Visa or Spouse Visa – it simply lets someone visit the UK for the specific purpose of marriage.
      • Business Visitor Visa. This visa allows a person to attend meetings and conduct certain business-related tasks during their time in the UK. Please note, this is not a Work or Entrepreneur Visa – the holder cannot undertake any work in or running of a business while they are in the UK.
      • Short-Term Study Visa. To be eligible for this Visit Visa, the applicant must have a temporary place at a registered institution. For example, if they are undertaking a term abroad as part of their course.

      Post-Visa options

      There are many different post-visa options for people who have migrated to the UK. These vary depending on the type of visa you have.

      Extending a UK Visa

      Your extension options depend on your visa category; some are eligible for extending and others are not.

      • Family Visas:

      Most visas under this category can be extended and can lead to settled status. Family Visas (including partner visas) last for two and a half years. After this, they can be extended for a further two and a half years. All this time can be used as a qualifying period for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

      • Points-based Visas:

      Only some points-based visas can be extended or progressed into settled status. Tier 1 and Skilled Worker Visas can be extended when they expire and also used as qualifying time for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Student and Temporary Worker Visas cannot be extended. However, you can switch from these visas to another category, if you are eligible.

      • Visitor Visas:

      These visas cannot be extended unless you are in the UK for less than six months and you want to extend your time slightly while you were there. In this case, you can extend the visa for up to six months. After this period, however, you must return home. A Visitor Visa cannot be used for settlement, and you cannot switch onto another category from it.

      Settling in the UK

      You can switch from several different types of UK Visa to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). This is an immigration route that grants you settled status in the UK.

      To be eligible for ILR you need to meet several requirements. These include:

      • Living in the UK for a ‘continuous period’ of at least five years
      • Absences from the UK which don’t exceed 180 days per each 12 months
      • Meeting English language requirements
      • Passing the Life in the UK test

      If you hold ILR, you have extended leave, and you are no longer restricted by your visa. This means you can work, study, or start a business without having a visa.

      Once you have held ILR for at least one year, you are eligible to apply for British naturalisation. This process means that you become a British citizen. As a citizen of the UK, you are afforded full legal rights.

      To become naturalised as a British citizen, you must:

      • Have held ILR status for at least 12 months; or
      • Have held EU Settled Status for the same period; or
      • Have held EEA Permanent Residence for the same period.

      You also need to have passed a Life in the UK Test and have met the Naturalisation English language requirements.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              If you have any questions about your UK Visa application and eligibility, our team is happy to assist you. Contact Us

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                It can take anywhere between six weeks and six months for a UK Visa application to be processed and for your decision to be sent back to you.

                This depends on the type of visa you are applying for, as some are more complex that others. For example, an application for a Standard Visitor Visa is likely to have a much shorter processing time than a complex Adult Dependent Relative application.

                Each application for a visa is reviewed by various immigration officials at UKVI. If there is something unusual or especially complex about your case, this review process can take longer.

                The 2019 UK Visa costs are:

                Tier 1 Investor: £1,623

                Innovator: £1,021 – £1,277

                Start-up Visa: £363 – £493

                Global Talent/Promise: £608

                Skilled Worker Visa: £610 – £704

                Student Visa: £348

                Temporary Work Visa: £244

                Spouse/Partner Visa: £1,033- £1,523

                Fiancé Visa: £1,033- £1,523

                Ancestry Visa: £516

                Adult Dependent: £3,250

                Child Dependent: Generally equal to the cost of sponsoring visa

                Visit Visa: £361 – £822

                EU and EEA citizens can visit the UK visa free for up to 90 days, citizens from other countries, or EU and EEA citizens who plan to stay for more than 90 days will need a visa to come to the UK.

                Visa applications can be made online directly to UKVI or posted. To apply for a UK visa, you will need to pay the appropriate fee, complete the relevant application form, and submit supporting documents.

                Your application will then be processed by immigration officials, who will come to a decision based on your eligibility and supporting evidence.

                Applications for UK visas are often rejected for a number of reasons, with certain categories being more prone to denial than others. When this happens, fees will not be refunded. The most common reasons to have an application rejected are:

                • Ineligibility for the visa category. It is often difficult to know if you are or aren’t eligible for a visa before applying without some knowledge of immigration law. Each visa category has several requirements that need to be met and which aren’t always entirely clear when first looking. Because of this, it is always worth gaining legal insight before submitting any application.
                • Mistakes on the forms/documents. This is one of the most common causes of a failed visa application. The Home Office has a very high standard, and they are trained to spot mistakes and gaps.
                • Insufficient evidence. If you do not submit enough evidence to support your case it is highly likely that you will have your application rejected. There are various proofs needed to support any kind of visa application.
                • Too much evidence. In the same way as submitting an application with insufficient evidence, submitting something with too much documentation raises alarm bells with UKVI. This is particularly common in Spouse Visa applications; Home Office officials perceive too much evidence about the relationship to be manipulative.

                The length of a visa for the UK varies depending on which visa you have. Generally, Family Visas last between two and a half and five years.

                Permanent Points-based Visas usually last around five years, and temporary visas last 24 months.

                Visitor Visas last six months per visit, although if frequent visits are necessary, they can be extended for two, five, or 10 years (provided each visit lasts no longer than six months).

                If you make an application from outside the UK, you can only be refunded if you withdraw an application before it has been processed.

                If you withdraw an application that you made from within the UK, you cannot get a refund.

                All visa fees are non-refundable once an application has been processed. This means that, if you have your application rejected by UKVI, you will not be eligible for your money back.

                Americans are non-visa nationals in the UK, which means that they don’t need a visa if they are coming to the UK for a short visit. They can stay in the UK without a visa for up to six months, and after this, they must apply.

                If they are coming to the UK to work, take up full-time education, or start/run a business, they will need to apply for a relevant visa.

                There is no cooling-off period if you have made a visa application that was rejected, so you can make a fresh application right away.

                You can also choose to make an appeal if you feel the decision was unfair or that a mistake was made by your legal representative.

                Before your visa expires, you will need to choose whether you want to extend your stay or return home.

                If you want to extend your stay, you will need to apply for a visa extension no more than 28 days before your visa is due to expire.

                Once your visa expires, if you haven’t applied for an extension, you will (usually) have 30 days during which you can stay in the UK after the official expiry date of your visa. You must either apply for an extension or visa switch (if eligible) or leave the UK.

                If you continue to stay in the UK after this period without extending or applying for another visa, you will be in breach of immigration regulations. In this scenario, you would become an overstayer.

                Different visas take different amounts of time to process. This depends on the complexity of the case and the visa category in question.

                Whether you applied from inside or outside of the UK is also a factor.

                Visas can take anywhere between three weeks and six months to process. You will then be able to check your result once a decision has been reached. You will receive this in the mail or, if you work with a lawyer, they will let you know once a decision has been reached by UKVI.

                If you haven’t heard anything within this timeframe, you can also track the status of your UK visa with UKVI using their online tracking tool.

                There are several visa types that allow you to work in the UK.

                If you qualify for the Tier 1 route, you do not need a job offer before coming to the UK. This is because it is assumed that you will find a position quickly on account of your expertise and talent. You do, however, need to be endorsed by a registered body, like the Arts Council.

                If you apply via either the Skilled Worker or Temporary Worker routes, you need:

                • A job offer from a UK employer (who holds a Sponsor Licence)
                • A certificate of sponsorship (assigned by your sponsoring employer)
                • Enough money to support yourself on arrival in the UK

                The supporting documents for visas vary greatly. For all visas, you are required to show proof of your identity, and criminal and immigration history. If you are applying for a visa with dependants, then you will need to provide the same information for them.

                If your visa requires you to have a UK sponsor, which is the case for Spouse Visas, Skilled Worker, Student, and Temporary Worker Visas, then you will also be required to provide documents that prove your relationship to them is genuine.

                This could be any of the following:

                • Photographs
                • Proof of correspondence
                • Marriage licences
                • Proof of meetings/events attended together
                • An official job offer
                • An official offer for a place at a university
                • Proof of an interview
                • Proof of gifts bought, or money exchanged

                UK Visas and Immigration – or UKVI – is an arm of the Home Office. It is responsible for processing visa applications for the UK, made from inside and outside the country.

                When you make an application for a visa, the UKVI will review your application, process it, and come to a decision on whether or not to grant it. Once this has been made, it will send you a decision letter.

                If you want to set up a business in the UK, you will need a specific type of Tier 1 Visa. The Innovator Visa, which was formerly known as the Entrepreneur Visa, allows you to set up or take over an existing business in the UK.

                To be eligible for this kind of visa, you need:

                • An endorsement
                • £50,000 in investment funds
                • Enough money to support yourself in the UK without accessing public funds (this must be at least £945)
                • A credible business plan
                • To attend an interview with a UKVI official (in some cases)

                This form of visa has a particularly high refusal rate, with the business plan being assessed very rigorously. To make sure that you have the best chance of success, your business plan should cover costs, aims, recruitment, staff structures, projections, market analysis, and competitor analysis.

                If you want to join your partner in the UK, you first-and-foremost need to prove that your relationship with them is “genuine and subsisting”.

                To do this, you can provide evidence such as:

                • Past correspondence (phone records, text messages, emails, etc)
                • Photographs of you together
                • Tickets from events you have attended together
                • Evidence of gifts bought for each other
                • Evidence of travel to/with each other
                • Marriage certificates

                As well as proving your relationship with your partner is genuine, you must also meet the Spouse Visa financial requirements. The financial requirement (without dependent children) is a gross annual income of £18,600 or more.

                When you receive a visa refusal letter from UKVI, this will tell you whether you have grounds for an appeal or not.

                If you lodge an appeal, you can either re-submit your application for administrative review, or for judicial review.

                Administrative review allows your application to be reviewed by a different member of staff at the Home Office and is usually the best option for those who feel there was a genuine error in the first decision-making process.

                Judicial review is the next step to this. This involves the appeal being heard by an independent judge, who reviews the case and decides on whether to keep or overturn the original decision.

                Generally, appeals can be lodged and heard on paper or in-person. In the latter, an appeal hearing in front of the Upper Tribunal will be held, and your case will be heard by a judge and team of deciders. These officials are entirely separate from the Home Office.

                When it comes to making appeals, it is highly recommended that you enlist the help of an immigration solicitor. A legal professional will know exactly how to proceed and whether an appeal or a fresh application is the best course of action to pursue. A lawyer will also offer full legal representation, including physical representation in a Tribunal hearing.