We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews
Student Visitor Visa

Student Visitor Visa

Request a call back from our immigration experts

Fill out the form

What is a Student Visitor Visa?

The Student Visitor Visa, also known as Short-Term Study Visa, is targeted at international pupils who wish to do a short course of study in the UK. This includes English language courses or other training and vocational studies.

This visa can also be requested by students who wish to do a short period of research in the UK as a part of their degree course if they are studying abroad.

Call us on 020 4502 8582 to speak to one of our experts.



Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews
Reviews.io Logo

Student Visitor Visa eligibility

The Student Visitor Visa is available for those who:

  • Are doing a short course of study in the UK
  • Are from outside the EEA and Switzerland
  • Meet all the necessary eligibility requirements

Academic visitors are not eligible for this permit, but they can apply for a Standard Visitor visa.

Short-Term Study Visa requirements

To be eligible for this visa, you must prove that you:

  • Have been offered a place on a course in the UK
  • Have enough money to support yourself during your stay without working or seeking help from public funds
  • Are willing to get back home at the end of your course, and you can pay for your return journey.

Student Visitor Visa validity

As a general rule, you are allowed to stay in the UK for the length of your course of study. However, you may be granted an additional 30-day stay if your visa validity is less than 6 months, or no more than 11 months if you are studying an English language course.

Depending on your home country, you may not need a visa to visit the UK. In this case, you can remain in the country to study for up to 6 months without applying for a permit. If you wish to stay longer, you will need to request a Short-term Study Visa.

How to apply for a Short-Term Student Visa

You can apply for your visa online. However, you will still need to have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre before your request is valid.

You will get a decision within 3 weeks of your appointment. Nevertheless, you can get a faster decision if you apply for the Home Office Premium service, which costs £220.

Get in touch with our immigration lawyers in London to find out how to apply for your Student Visa. Contact Us

Fill out the form

How to study in the UK as a part of an overseas course

If you are at least 16 years old, and you are studying at an overseas higher education institution, you can apply for a Short-Term Visitor Visa to do a part of your course in the UK.

Before you can enter the UK, your education institution must:

  • Acquire national accreditation
  • Offer its pupils the opportunity to do part of dedicated educational programmes in the UK
  • Offer courses that are equivalent to a UK degree

Requesting a visa for researching in the UK

The Visitor Student Visa can also be required by those who wish to come to the UK for a short period of research, provided that they are already enrolled on an overseas degree course.

Eligible applicants must:

  • Do a course that is equivalent to a UK degree
  • Carry out their research at the UK recognised body
  • Be at least 16 years old

Short-Term Student Visa documents

Along with your application forms, you must provide:

  • Your passport or any other valid travel document
  • Evidence that you hold enough funds to support yourself during your stay in the UK
  • Details of your accommodation in the UK and your travel plans
  • Your tuberculosis (TB) test results, if applicable
  • Contact details of your parents or guardians in your home country (if you are under 18)

Any document which is not in English or Welsh must be accompanied by a certified translation.

Required additional documents

To be eligible for this visa, you must hold an offer from an educational institution in the UK. Your application portfolio must include:

  • A letter of acceptance from your course of study (on official headed paper)
  • Details of your previous education, such as academic certificates and transcripts
  • Your English language qualifications
  • Permission to travel on your own if you are under 18
  • Your financial sponsor’s details, if applicable
Advice Package icon

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

Application Package icon

Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

Fast Track Package icon

Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

Appeal Package icon

Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

Advice Package image

The Advice Package

During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

Fill out the form

Request the Advice Package
Application Package image

The Application Package

With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

Fill out the form

Request the Application Package
Fast Track Package image

The Fast Track Package

Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

Fill out the form

Request the Fast Track Package
Appeal Package image

The Appeal Package

By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

Fill out the form

Request the Appeal Package

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

Request a call back from our immigration experts

Related pages for your continued reading.

Frequently Asked Questions

It usually takes 3 weeks for the Home Office to process your case and make a decision about your visa. This waiting time may be shorter if you are applying from within the UK.

If you are currently abroad, you can submit your application up to 3 months before your date of entering the country.

As a Student Visitor Visa holder, you are cannot:

  • Study at a state-funded school
  • Work (including work placement)
  • Apply for a visa extension
  • Bring your dependants with you (although your relatives can apply separately)
  • Get public funds.

The Visitor Student visa costs:

  • £97, if you wish to stay for up to 6 months
  • £186 for an 11-month visa

Yes, you do not need to be 18 to be eligible for this visa. However, before you apply, you need to:

  • Have permission from your parent or guardian to live and study in the UK
  • Have made all the necessary arrangements for your travel and stay abroad