We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews
Biometric Residence Permit

Biometric Residence Permit

If you are applying to stay in the UK for 6 months or longer, you will automatically receive a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

Call us today on 020 4502 8582 for all the help you need with your immigration situation. We’re here for you over the phone, in person and via Skype.

Request a call back from our immigration experts

Fill out the form

UK Biometric Residence Permit

The Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is a residence permit which reports a migrant’s biographic details and biometric information. It also shows your immigration status and entitlements of your stay in the UK.

You will receive a BRP only under specific circumstances. If you wish to learn more, you can get in touch with our team of professional immigration lawyers in London. You can call us on 020 4502 8582.

Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews
Reviews.io Logo

What is a Biometric Residence Permit?

You will automatically get a UK Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) if you:

  • Apply to stay in the UK for longer than 6 months
  • Extend your current visa to longer than 6 months
  • Apply to settle in the UK
  • Transfer your existing visa to a new passport
  • Apply for specific Home Office travel documents

Which details are reported on my BRP?

Your BRP includes:

  • Your name, date and place of birth
  • Your biometric information (your fingerprints and a photo of your face)
  • Your immigration status with any conditions of your stay
  • Additional information, such as whether you can access public funds benefits and health services
  • Your National Insurance number (if applicable)

Why do I need a BRP?

You can use your Biometric Residence Permit to confirm:

  • Your identity
  • Your right to work or study in the UK
  • Your right to access to public services and benefits

How do I apply for a Biometric Residence Permit?

It is not necessary to apply separately for a BRP.

You will automatically get one if your visa application is approved, or if you are replacing an older travel document.

How do I have my biometric information collected?

You will find your biometric information (your fingerprints and photo) on your BRP. If your application is successful, you will be told where to go to have your biometric data collected.

If you are applying from within the UK, you can go to one of the UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service points, or to any Post Office branch. Applicants from outside the UK will be asked to go to a visa application centre.

How to collect my Biometric Residence Permit?

If you applied from within the UK, your BRP would be sent to you by courier within 7 to 10 days of getting your decision letter from the Home Office. If it does not arrive, you can report your missing BRP online.

If you applied from outside the UK, you must collect your BRP once you enter the country. You must do this before the vignette sticker in your travel document expires, or within 10 days of your arrival date in the UK. You can collect your BRP from either a Post Office branch or your sponsor, depending on what is written on your decision letter.

You must be over 18 to collect your BRP.

Advice Package icon

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

Application Package icon

Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

Fast Track Package icon

Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

Appeal Package icon

Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

Advice Package image

The Advice Package

During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

Fill out the form

Request the Advice Package
Application Package image

The Application Package

With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

Fill out the form

Request the Application Package
Fast Track Package image

The Fast Track Package

Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

Fill out the form

Request the Fast Track Package
Appeal Package image

The Appeal Package

By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

Fill out the form

Request the Appeal Package

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

Request a call back from our immigration experts

Related pages for your continued reading.

Frequently Asked Questions

If your Biometric Residence Permit is lost or stolen, you can apply for a replacement. However, this option is only available from inside the UK.

If you are currently abroad, you can get someone else to report for you, such as your legal representative or your sponsor.

You can report online if your BRP has not arrived if:

  • You have applied from inside the UK
  • You had received your decision letter from the Home Office more than 10 days ago

If your visa is about to expire, you can get a new BRP once you have applied for an extension.

If you have Indefinite Leave to Remain, you can use the BRP replacement service. However, if you are currently abroad, you will need to apply for a replacement BRP visa, which will let you re-enter the UK once only. It costs £154.

It costs £19.20 to give your biometric information if you are applying from within the UK. If you apply from abroad, the cost will be included in your application fee.

Children do not need to give their signature, nor their fingerprints if they are under 5. All children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or an adult who has legal responsibility for them.

If you are not British and you cannot use or get a passport from your country of origin, you can apply for a document to travel outside the UK. To be eligible, you must be living in the UK as a settled person, refugee, or have discretionary leave for a limited time after a failed asylum application.

You may need to transfer or replace your visa if your passport has expired or your name or personal details have changed.

If your passport is expired, you can still use the valid visa when you are travelling to and from the UK. If your personal details have changed, you must replace your visa with a biometric residence permit (only if your authorised stay in the UK is longer than 6 months).

You only need to apply for a National Insurance (NI) number if:

  • There is not one already printed on your BRP
  • You do not already have one
  • You wish to work, claim benefits, apply for a student loan or pay Class 3 voluntary National Insurance contributions.

To collect a child’s BRP, you must be nominated to do so, even if you are the parent or legal guardian. However, you do not need to be appointed if you are also collecting your own BRP, or if you are named on your child’s vignette sticker.

You can get fined up to £1,000 if you fail to collect your BRP. If you are unable to do it, you can nominate someone else. This person must have one of the following:

  • A valid passport
  • An EU national identity card
  • A Biometric Residence Permit

If you have any problems collecting your BPR, you must tell the Home Office as soon as possible.