Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa
The Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa has been replaced by Global Talent Visa on 20th February 2020. Both visas are similar, although there is no longer any cap on the number of permits available. This immigration status provides a new fast-track scheme for those by are considered world-leading scientists, top researchers and mathematicians and who wish to enter the UK.
- Switching from a Tier 1 Visa to a Global Talent Visa
- What you can do on a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa
- Global Talent Visa eligibility
- Talent Visa application process
- How to apply for settlement in the UK
- Settlement requirements for Talent Visa holders
- Global Talent Visa validity
- Frequently Asked Questions
Can I switch from a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent into a Global Talent Visa?
If you hold a valid Tier 1 Exceptional Talent endorsement, but you have not yet applied for entry clearance or leave to remain, you can use the same endorsement to apply for a Global Talent Visa.
If you are currently living in the UK on a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa and you wish to apply to extend your status, you can do so under the Global Talent category. However, if you want to apply for ILR, you can do it without the need to switch into the Global Talent route.
What can I do under a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa?
As a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa holder, you can:
- Work either as self-employed or employed
- Work in any sector
- Move between different employers without the approval from the Home Office
- Take up Employment at any level
- Study in the UK provided that you obtain an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate for your course/research.
Who is eligible for the Global Talent Visa?
Both the Tier 1 Exceptional Talent and the Global Talent visas are targeted at those who have obtained an endorsement by a recognised designated competent body in the UK or abroad, in the following fields:
- Digital technology
- The Arts
- Film and Television
If you are unsure whether you are eligible, our London immigration lawyers can help. Please call us now on 020 4502 8582 for ore information.
What is the Global Talent Visa application process?
There are two steps to complete to get this visa:
- Applying to the Home Office for endorsement as a leader or an emerging leader in your particular field
- Applying for your visa
You can complete both applications at the same time. However, you will not automatically get a permit if you have been endorsement. Besides, if your endorsement is refused, your visa application will not be processed and your request will not be refunded.
How can I apply for settlement in the UK?
Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa holders can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK once they have been in the UK for:
- 3 years with an Exceptional Talent Visa
- 3 years with an Exceptional Talent Endorsement in Science
- 5 years with an Exceptional Promise Endorsement in either arts and culture or digital technology.
You can apply for settlement up to 28 days before your current visa expires.
If you apply earlier than that, your application may be refused.
Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa criteria for settlement
To obtain ILR in the UK, you must meet two additional requirements:
- The endorsing body that initially sponsored your application must have not withdrawn this endowment. If this happens, your leave may be curtailed as appropriate. As a part of your application, you will need to demonstrate that your endorsement is still valid.
- During your period of leave in the UK, you must have earned money in this country as a result of employment or self-employment in your field of expertise. The Home Office will require any evidence of earnings, such as payslips or personal bank or building society statements.
- You must show sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK, by passing both the Life in the UK test and holding an English speaking and listening qualification at level B1 or above.
How long can I stay in the UK?
You can apply to stay in the UK for between 1 and 5 years. At the end of each period, you can apply to extend your permit as many times as you like. Each extension can last from 1 to 5 years.
However, based on your circumstances and current application status, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain once you have been in the UK for either 3 or 5 consecutive years.
How long does the Global Visa application process take?
Once you get your endorsement, the earliest you can apply for a Global Talent Visa is 3 months before the date you intend to enter the UK.
You will get a decision from the Home Office within 3 weeks if you are applying from outside the UK.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
If you are applying for a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa, now known as Global Talent Visa, you must pay a separate fee for the two stages of your process, which is endorsement and visa application.
Applicants must pay the £456 fee to get an endorsement if they are applying for the first time or switching to this visa category. When applying for your Global Talent Visa, you must pay an additional £152 fee.
Based on your circumstances, you may be asked to pay the healthcare surcharge.
Your family members may be eligible to join or remain with you in the UK. However, only the following dependant can submit their application:
- Your partner
- Your children under the age of 18
- Your children over 18 who are currently living in the UK with you as dependants
Each applicant will be subjected to a £608 processing fee. They also need to pay the healthcare surcharge and £19.20 to have their biometric information collected (if they are applying from within the UK). A decision will be made within 8 weeks, although you can pay an extra £800 for the Home Office’s super-priority service.
To be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain, you cannot have had more than 180 days’ absence from the UK during any consecutive 12 months of your qualifying period. This includes absences for work reasons or any other severe or compelling reasons.
Your qualifying period begins when your entry clearance is granted. Any absence from this time and the day you enter the UK will still be counted towards the maximum 180 days. When you reach a total of 180 absences from the UK, you will need to start the qualifying period for settlement again.
If they meet the requirements, your dependants can apply online from outside the UK. However, they will need to have their fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre before their request is valid.
If their application is successful, your family can collect their biometric residence permit within 10 days of when they plan to enter the UK.
Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa migrants cannot:
- Work as doctors or dentists in training
- Work as professional sportspersons or sports coaches
- Claim public funds (although exceptions may apply)