London Immigration Lawyers
0204 502 8582 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

Find an office

10 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Switching from a UK fiancé visa to a spouse visa

If you are in the UK on a fiancé visa that is possible to apply for spouse visa to extend your time in the country. The FLR(M) visa application is a partner visa UK application that is being made from within the UK.

Call our London immigration lawyers on 020 4502 8582 for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.


    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Fiancé visa compared to a Spouse visa

    A fiancé visa allows holders to stay in the UK for up to 6 months so they have time to enter a marriage or civil partnership with a British citizen. Fiancé visas do not allow the holder to work or study during their time in the UK and they are granted so the applicant has time to marry their proposed civil partner.

    A spouse visa is a longer term visa that allows married couples to live in the UK for up to 30 months initially. You can then apply for a spouse visa extension which is the first step towards gaining indefinite leave to remain status. The marriage visa allows the holder to work and study in the UK, however, they are not permitted to claim benefits while in the UK on a spouse visa.

    Dependent visa

    Changing from a UK fiancé visa to UK spouse visa

    In most cases, the immigration route from a fiancé visa to a spouse visa is straightforward but the Home Office will consider each visa application carefully against UK immigration rules.

    If you wish to switch from a fiancé UK visa to a spouse visa then it is crucial to make the visa application before your fiancé visa expires otherwise it could make the application process more complicated and immigration permission could be refused.

    As part of the spouse visa UK application you will need to met the following criteria and be able to provide evidence to the relevant visa application centre:

    • Have a valid fiancé visa and not have breached any of the visa’s conditions
    • Meet the good character requirements
    • Have sufficient English language skills or passed a English language test
    • Meet the financial requirements for annual income or savings

    Cost of applying for a spouse visa

    If applying while outside the UK, then the spouse visa processing fee is £1,538 and £1,048 if you are applying while in the country.

    There is the option for a fast track application package to speed up the processing time for your spouse visa application. For £800, the Super Priority service allows a decision to made within 24 hours compared to the standard processing times of up to three months.

    Spouse visa applications also have additional charges including the Immigration Health Surcharge and the biometric processing fee. These must be paid at the time of application.

    It is important to ensure you have completed the application form correctly and supplied all the requested information – otherwise you could experience delays as well as having to pay another application fee.

    Do you need help applying for a UK spouse visa? Our lawyers can assist you. Get in touch

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Spouse visa to ILR and becoming a British citizen

      Once you have moved from a fiancé visa to a married partner visa you can then look towards being granted indefinite leave to remain and gain settled status.

      Under ILR you are allowed to live in the UK without being subject to UK visa restrictions meaning you can work and study without conditions. In addition, you are able to visit outside the UK and return to the UK freely.

      To be granted indefinite leave to remain status you need to:

      • Have lived in the UK with a valid UK visa for the last five years
      • Not have spent more than 180 days outside the UK in the 12 months before making your leave to remain visa application
      • Pass the Life in the UK test requirement and have a valid pass certificate
      • Demonstrate the ‘good character’ Home Office requirements
      • Supply biometric residence permit information
      • Meet the same minimum income requirement for your visa (£18,600 per couple)
      • Not have breached any immigration regulations or laws

      Can Spouse visas be refused?

      Both UK fiancé visas and marriage visas can be refused if the Home Office suspects the relationship the application is based on is not genuine or if the visa application has been submitted without sufficient evidence.

      Possible missing documentation may include:

      • Failing to provide a housing report
      • Failing to provide proof of an English language test
      • Failing to show that the financial requirements are met

      Appealing a refusal

      It is possible to appeal if your spouse visa application is refused. If you opt to appeal then you will need to plead your case to an immigration judge. For immigration appeals it may be advisable to seek comprehensive advice from a dedicated immigration lawyer to ensure you are ready for the process.

      hands typing on laptop

      What is the Genuine Relationship requirement?

      One of the key requirements to ensuring your can switch from a fiancé visa to a spouse visa is the genuine relationship criteria. You must provide sufficient evidence to prove that you are in a genuine relationship.

      You could be asked to provide the following information to enable the Home Office to make a decision about whether your partnership is legitimate:

      • Bank statements of joint accounts
      • Documents showing details of accommodation which you have lived in together
      • Reference letters from family, friends and professional people who can confirm that you are in a genuine relationship
      • Information on how long you have been together, how you met etc
      • Birth certificates of children you have had together
      • Divorce certificates from previous relationships

      How can London Immigration Lawyers help?

      Our team of experienced London immigration lawyers understand the immense importance of securing Indefinite Leave to Remain. It is a pivotal step in the journey towards British citizenship, and we can guide you every step of the process. Luckily, our immigration lawyers are here to help.

      Our immigration lawyers offer a fast-track application service that will make sure your Skilled Work Dependent Visa application is completed and submitted quickly. Our lawyers can work around the clock to ensure that your deadline is met. They can fill in the application form on your behalf and help you to gather all of the documents that you will require.

      For more information about the Visa application process, or how we can help you to apply, get in touch today on 020 4502 8582.

      You may be interested in reading about.

      We can help you if you need help with Spouse Visa application. Call us now

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package