What is ILR SET(M)?
ILR SET(M) refers to one of the application forms for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. Form SET(M) is for the partners of a person who has settled status in the UK as well as the parents of a child who is settled in the UK.
You can use this form if you are currently in the UK and wish to apply for ILR status so that you can make the UK your permanent home.
To apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain using form SET(M) you will need to certain requirements including the English language requirement, financial requirement, accommodation requirement and the genuine relationship requirement.
You will need to provide evidence that you are able to meet the requirements, to do this you will need to submit all of the relevant documents alongside your SET(M) application form.
SET(M) document checklist
The required documents that you should submit alongside form SET(M) include:
- Your valid passport
- Copies of your previous passports
- Your Biometric Residence Permit if you have one and the Biometric Residence Permits of any dependents including in your application
- Passport sized photographs of you, your partner and any other applicants on the form, these must be in colour and have your full name written on the back
- Evidence of your partners residency status such as their current passport or other travel documents
- Evidence of your financial situation such as bank statements, payslips, personal independence payment, guaranteed income payment or cash savings
- A letter from your employer if you are using your employment income to prove your financial information
- Evidence of your residency in the UK such as a tenancy agreement, council tax bills, utility bills, mortgage statement or a letter from your landlord or mortgage provider
- A housing report to prove you have suitable accommodation
- Evidence that you are living with your partner, this must include at least 6 items of correspondence
- Evidence of how you meet the English language requirement such as your English language test pass certificate or proof that you are from an English speaking country
- Life in the UK test certificate
Your documents must be in English or Welsh, if they are not then you will need to have them officially translated before you submit them. You don’t always need to provide original documents, the Home Office will inform you about whether they require the original document or whether you can submit copies.
Items of correspondence
As mentioned above, as part of supporting documents you are required to submit 6 items of correspondence, this is to prove that you are your partner have been living together since your last visa was granted.
You must submit at least 6 items of correspondence that have been addressed to both you and your UK partner at your home. The letters must be original copies and can either be addressed to both of your individually or addressed to joint names.
The items of correspondence can include documents such as:
- Utility bills
- Medical letters
- HMRC letters
- Joint bank statements
If you don’t have enough letters that have been addressed to you both then you can instead submit eight letters, 4 of which must be addressed to both of you and then you must also each submit 2 letters addressed to you individually but sent to the same address.
SET(M) Cover letter
As well as the documents listed above it is also recommended that ILR applicants include a cover letter alongside their application.
You cover letter should include personal details about both you and your UK partner and it should also provide details about how you meet each of the requirements, including:
- How you meet the relationship requirement, including details about your relationship with your UK partner
- How you meet the financial requirements
- How you meet the accommodation requirement
- How you meet the English language requirement
In your supporting letter you should also state the reasons why you wish to remain in the UK.
How long does it take for the SET(M) form to be processed?
The processing time for Indefinite Leave to Remain applications varies but generally you can expect it to take between 3 to 6 months.
If you don’t submit the correct documents then this could result in your application being delayed.
If you need a quicker decision on your application then there is a priority service available in which your application will be processed within 10 working days, as well as super priority service that will see you receive a decision the next working day. These services come at an additional fee.
You are permitted to stay in the UK whilst your Indefinite Leave to Remain application is being processed.
How can London Immigration Lawyers help?
The ILR applications are very complex, this is why it is highly recommended that you seek the assistance of an immigration professional when it comes to completing your application.
Our lawyers can assess whether you are eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain and can fill in the application form on your behalf. As well as this we will go through the document checklist with you and ensure that you have all of the necessary supporting documents for your application.
Our immigration experts are trained in all areas of UK immigration law and have helped thousands of clients with their ILR applications, they will ensure that your application has the best chance of success.
For more information about how we can assist you get in touch with our team today on 020 4502 8582.
Last modified on June 22nd, 2022 at 1:49 pm
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.